Through Volunteers in Mission (VIM), every person in the Methodist Church can serve God and others through lifelong experiences of discipleship. The New Testament encourages those who want to follow Jesus to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelter the homeless, heal the sick, care for widows and raise children. Churches can establish dynamic covenant relationships with individual missionaries, providing them with financial, spiritual and emotional support. The In Mission Together program facilitates partnership agreements between churches, encouraging mutual benefit and growth.
Rev. Miller continued his graduate studies while ministering at the Union Chapel United Methodist Church in Joppa, Maryland. He received his doctorate in ecclesiastical revitalization from McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago in 1992. The Northern-leaning Methodist Episcopal Congregation, which continued to worship in the Epsom Chapel during the Civil War, began building its own church nearby in 1869. Towson United Methodist Church has a Casavant pipe organ of 3 handbooks and 48 ranges of 2,790 tubes, including seven rows of 16 feet. It is a large church located in the historic subdivision of Hampton de Towson, a suburb of Baltimore County, Maryland.
Aiming to increase its appeal to the greater Towson community, the church now calls itself Towson Church with a Sunday worship service that combines traditional and contemporary elements. United Methodist Volunteers in Mission is a grassroots movement of United Methodists seeking to put their “Christian love” into action. Ransom was chief minister of the First Methodist Church of Towson at the time of the merger of the two churches in 1952 and later prime minister of the Towson Unified Methodist Church during its construction and first decade. With the merger in 1939 of the Methodist Episcopal (ME) and Methodist Protestant (MP) denominations in the United States, the Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant churches in Towson were renamed First Methodist Church and Second Methodist Church respectively.
After World War II ended in 1945, attendance at major Protestant churches increased significantly across the United States. Miller was ordained to the ministry by the United Methodist Church in 1995 after studying at Iliff School of Theology in Denver, Colorado where he obtained a Master of Divinity and Doctorate in Ministry. Through this program people can learn about church and community workers dedicated to serving those living in poverty in urban and rural communities. After reunification of the two branches of Methodism in 1939, First Methodist Church and Second Methodist Church of Towson continued as separate entities for another thirteen years before merging on June 1st 1952 under the name Towson Methodist Church.
The current name, Towson United Methodist Church was adopted in 1968 to reflect merger that year of United Methodist and Evangelical Brethren denominations in United States.