The Towson United Methodist Church is a large and historic church located in the Hampton subdivision of Towson, Maryland. It is an L-shaped structure, with the main sanctuary on a north-south axis. The church has a 3-manual, 48-range 2,790-tube Casavant pipe organ, including seven 16-foot rows. Hearing devices are available during worship services.
The Methodist movement began in the United States before the Civil War, but was divided into two groups in 1844 due to disputes over slave ownership and church government by bishops. Led by Methodist Episcopal Minister Daniel Helpler, the Epsom Chapel was dedicated and inaugurated for Towsontown's first public church service on Sunday, November 10, 1839. After the reunification of the two branches of Methodism in 1939, the First Methodist Church and the Second Methodist Church of Towson continued as separate entities for another thirteen years. Towson Church is now focused on increasing its appeal to the larger Towson community. To do this, it offers a variety of programs for its members and visitors alike. These include worship services, religious education classes, youth activities, community outreach programs, and special events.
The church also provides spiritual guidance and counseling services to those in need. Additionally, it offers a range of volunteer opportunities for those who wish to give back to their community. Through its various programs and services, the Towson United Methodist Church strives to be a beacon of hope and faith in its local community. It is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all who come through its doors.